image by : hocho-knife.com
Kanetsune Seki knives are light, well-balanced, and can be found all over the world as the brand represents the best of modern Japanese knifemaking. The brand is owned by Kitasho Co. Ltd., and the company is located in Seki City, Gifu Prefecture, Japan, also known as the ‘City of Blades’. Kanetsune Seki is named after a famous swordsmith named Kanetsune who lived during the Muramachi period during the 14th to 15th century.
Kanetsune made extremely tough and durable katanas that were used by many Samura, and today some of his swords are displayed in the Katana Museum in Seki City. Kanetsune knives are known to be created with a unique smithing known called ‘Seki-den’, an ancient underground method in Japanese sword making which started 800 years ago and has been passed down to the present age.
Since being established in 1946, Kitasho Co. Ltd has continued to innovate and combine modern manufacturing methods with traditional techniques to produce high-quality knives. The company’s philosophy is to produce stylish and versatile cutlery for users worldwide, and they believe they will continue innovating and growing over the years to come.
The Kanetsu Seki knives offered by Kitashi Co. Ltd. are one of the most popular series of knives from the company and are sold worldwide. Here are types of Kanetsu Seki knives the company offers below:
Kanetsune’s hunting knives are made with high quality metals such as Damascus and carbon steel, and handles can feature plywood, cherry wood, and oakwood among other high-quality materials. It was Kanetsune’s hunting knife that gave the company global popularity, and while the knives are sold worldwide, they retain a classic Japanese look and style.
Kanetsune Seki manufactures a wide range of kitchen knives such as Gyutou, Santoku, Yanagiba, Petty, Usubagata, Kengata, Chinese cleavers, and so on. They’re all extremely durable, and simpler designs have led to the knives being popular among chefs of all levels worldwide. Some of the different kitchen knife series by Kanetsune Seki include:
- 555 Series – one of Kanetsune Seki’s newest releases, these knives are single-layered and made of DSR-1K6 stainless steel, with a plywood handle.
- S Series – another one of Kanetsune Seki’s new releases, the Minamoto Kanemasa is made of AUS-8 stainless steel with a SUS405 stainless core. The handle is made of magnolia wood with a plastic holster.
- Chinese Cleaver KC-096 – this cleaver is a Chinese-style kitchen knife that was released in 2021. It’s single-layered and made of SK-4 high-carbon steel with a rosewood handle.
Blue Steel “Zen-Bokashi” Damascus Blade Series – released in 2021, this series features ‘Kiritsuke’ style blades made of blue steel. They feature 2 cores and 11-layers of Damascus steel while the handle is made of red sandal wood. They come with a black plywood holster.
- KC-940 Tsuchime VG-1 Series – these knives are made with a VG-1 stainless steel core and feature SUS410 stainless steel with a Tsuchime finish. The handle is made of black plywood with a stainless bolster.
- Minamo-kaze series – these knives are made of 63-layers of Damascus steel with a high-carbon stainless steel core. The handle is made of black plywood with a red micarta ring, shaped like an octagon. The Kanetsune logo is engraved at the bottom of the handle.
- Namishibuki series – these knives are made of 101-layers of Damascus steel with a high speed powder steel core. The handle is made of black plywood with a red micarta ring, shaped like an octagon. The Kanetsune logo is engraved at the bottom of the handle. The name Namishibuki represents the appearance of the blade, as the blade looks like a wave splash of the ocean.
- KC-150 (Limited edition) – the KC-150 is made of VG-1 high carbon stainless steel, with a mahogany plywood handle and a stainless bolster.
- FC-G210-RT / FC-G210-S (Limited edition) – these knives are made of AUS-8 stainless steel with a black plywood handle. The blade surface features holes and ribs. FC-G210-RT has a round tip, while the FC-G210-S has a serrated blade.
Kanetsune Seki knives are used worldwide as they’re incredibly well-balanced, light, durable, and suitable for everyday use. The knives are made by highly skilled craftsmen utilizing a combination of modern day manufacturing methods and ancient technique, making the knives very unique. The Kanetsune Seki brand represents the best of modern Japanese knifemaking, and they also offer a wide range of other metal products such as nail clippers, kitchen tools, and sharpeners so if you’re looking for a high-quality knife, look no further.